We were just made aware of a planned wolf killing in Germany just a few days after the provincial government authorised the killing of another wolf in the region.
Please find here the original petition as published on change.org and sign if you want to stop the killing:
Rescue the Wolf in the Goldenstedter moor in Vechta/Germany before the shooting death and help to promote an objective discussion!
With the people! – For the wolf!
Set a clear sign for tolerance and biodiversity.
My name is Jan Olsson and I live in Vechta, Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) Germany. I am a graduate engineer for Landscape Management with an emphasis on wildlife biology. For years I have committed myself unsaleried in conservation organisations. My faithful dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer, called Hanna, accompanied me for years.
The wolf is back, even in Vechta and that’s good. The wolf is not dangerous to humans. Over the past 50 years there has been in Europe nine assignable attacks on humans. Five of them by contracted rabies specimens. The wolf snatches not babies and small children.
A protection of farm animals is possible. You just have to submit an application for funding of the protective measures (for example herding dogs, electric fences with rag, etc.). Of course, even if damage to farm animals has arisen and the wolf is demonstrably involved, the shepherd must receive compensation promptly financially.
Every second day is demanded by some politicians in Vechta and at the state level, the shooting of one wolf. This thinking I think is very questionable. There are much better alternatives (see list of measures below).
Let us not allow that a strictly protected potential parent animal, of a possible new wolf pack is shot and the puppies need to starve miserably!
Recently, it has demonstrated in Vechta through a genetic test, which was the wolf involved in 31 killings. The number of killed farm animals is considerably higher. Dog DNA has also been frequently observed. The typical throat bite of the wolf was missing in many cases. The sheep were often seriously injured.
In Germany there are already shepherds, who are protected by „their“ wolves against migrant wolves or other threats (territorial defense).
More competent and reliable information about the wolf, herd protection and damage compensation in Saxony, Lower Saxony and Germany, etc., can also be obtained via the contact office Wolfsregion Lausitz in Saxony (www.wolfsregion-lausitz.de)
So we show the public that many people in Lower Saxony, Germany and in other countries find the presence of the wolf good.
In order to prevent the shooting of a wolf and to promote an objective discussion, I ask all friends of the wolf to sign this petition.
Become an advocate and supporter (lawjer) of an impressive wild animal.
The following is a suggestion for improving of more effective measures!
List of measures
- The wolf is back! And that’s good! Improved measures and educating the population to promote the acceptance
- Scientific monitoring (!) of individual wolves through competent institutions and competent bodies
- Faster nationwide coordination of the people involved in the wolf, Associations and Institutions
- Regular nationwide meetings to coordinate the Wolf Monitoring and “Wolf management”
- No shooting! For the wolf shall apply until a definitive proof: „In dubio pro reo!“
- In very justified exceptional cases: After intense evaluation by recognized experts a radio-marking of individual wolves carried out to determine its behavior
- Fast processing of genetic tests
- Promotion of damage prevention measures (among other food for herding dogs, etc.) for several years with increasing the budget limit
- Fast and adequate compensation for damage by the wolf. After 4-6 weeks including damage payout.
- Promoted further development of persons reponsible for the injury determination (improvement of technical qualifications)