The U.S. Forest Service, in cooperation with the European Wilderness Society, is able to host several European Rangers from the European Wilderness Network at their next year’s Wilderness Ranger Academy! The multi-day and hands-on event will take place in Region 2 (Rocky Mountain Region – Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota), Region 3 (Southwestern Region – Arizona, New Mexico) and Region 5 (Pacific Southwest Region – California). The event is scheduled for the first week of June, proposed date is June 3rd to 7th 2019.
Please also read: European Wilderness Network at the U.S. Wilderness Ranger Academy
Wilderness Ranger Academy of the U.S. Forest Service
The objective of the Wilderness Ranger Academy is to provide field level Wilderness rangers, partners and volunteers a “tool box” of professional Wilderness management skills. All levels of experience are welcome! Concurrent sessions will be offered to accommodate junior field rangers as well as experienced rangers. There will be great opportunities to hear engaging speakers, learn new skills, practice Wilderness visitor contact and Leave No Trace techniques, receive certifications and network with peers from around the U.S. and Europe! The course language will be English.
The Ranger should:
- work in an European Wilderness Network partner area
- have a minimum of 3 years of field experience
- have good English language skills
- be able to present his or her protected area
- have experience with camping
- own basic personal protective equipment (PPE)
- have a letter of recommendation from his or her protected area management
- write a short motivational letter
- have a valid passport to fulfill the U.S.A. VISA requirements
The US Forest Service and the European Wilderness Society will:
- assist with the travel itinerary
- provide transportation from and to the closest US airport(s)
- sign the Ranger up as a Volunteer
- supply camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, etc)
The Ranger will need to pay for:
- international airfare from Europe to the US airport (travel and visa costs might be compensated in case the participant’s home country is a project partner country of the U.S. Forest Service International Programs)
- personal meals and drinks
- international health insurance
A detailed agenda will be available in spring 2019. The application for participating in the International Wilderness Ranger Training will be open February 1st. If you are interested in this unique opportunity, be sure to SAVE THE DATE and express your interest NOW.
Get information about last year’s Wilderness Ranger Academy at: Wilderness Ranger Academy 2018 in New Mexico
You can read more about the impressions of last year’s participant from the European Wilderness Network Mykola Romaniuk from the Carpathian Biosphere Reserve here.
For more information don’t hasitate to contact us!
Stay up to date on the Wilderness news, subscribe to our Newsletter!