Founded on more than 20 years of Wilderness work by our members, the European Wilderness Society is the only Pan-European, Wilderness and environmental advocacy non-profit, non-government organisation. It has a dedicated multi-cultural and experienced team of Wilderness and wildlife specialists, nature conservationists, researchers and scientists, tourism experts, marketing and business professionals, legal advisors and Wilderness advocates, whose mission is to:
Europe’s last Wilderness, WILDCoasts, WILDForests, WILDIslands and WILDRivers of the European Wilderness Network. Here non-human intervention leads to open-ended, dynamic processes.
This is conveyed through a range of projects that facilitate Wilderness knowledge exchange, including education, culture and science, from local community through to scientific and governmental level.
The European Wilderness Society now maintains focal points in Spain, Belgium, Austria, Slovakia, Germany and Ukraine. While the organisation’s headquarter is in Tamsweg, Austria, we also have a representation in Brussels. We also cooperate closely with the Interreg Volunteer Youth programme and the European Solidarity Corps. Our European Wilderness Expert team, after working for more than 16 years with different Wilderness organisations, includes:
- Max A E Rossberg (MMS), Chairman, Livestock Protection
- Vlado Vancura (MSc), Deputy Chairman, Wilderness Director
- Anni Henning, Project Management, Youth Programmes, Press and Media
- † Gudrun Pflueger (MSc), Large Carnivores
- Iryna Shchoka, Youth programmes and Ukraine
- Kamila Redererova, Project Assistant
- Karin Eckhard (MA), Sustainable Tourism
- Lisa Mahlknecht, Project Manager
- Otto Dibelius (Assessor jur.), Legal Counsel
- Robin Rossberg, Office Management