Founded on more than 20 years of Wilderness work by our members, the European Wilderness Society is the only Pan-European, Wilderness and environmental advocacy non-profit, non-government organisation. It has a dedicated multi-cultural and experienced team of Wilderness and wildlife specialists, nature conservationists, researchers and scientists, tourism experts, marketing and business professionals, legal advisors and Wilderness advocates, whose mission is to:
Europe’s last Wilderness, WILDCoasts, WILDForests, WILDIslands and WILDRivers. Here non-human intervention leads to open-ended, dynamic processes.
This is conveyed through a range of projects that facilitate Wilderness knowledge exchange, including education, culture and science, from local community through to scientific and governmental level.
The European Wilderness Society now maintains focal points in Spain, Belgium, Austria, Slovakia, Germany and Ukraine. While the organisation’s headquarter is in Tamsweg, Austria, we also have a representation in Brussels. We also cooperate closely with the Interreg Volunteer Youth programme and the European Solidarity Corps. Our European Wilderness Expert team, after working for more than 16 years with different Wilderness organisations, includes:
- Max A E Rossberg (MMS), Chairman, Livestock Protection
- Vlado Vancura (MSc), Deputy Chairman, Wilderness Director
- Anni Henning, Project Management, Youth Programmes, Press and Media
- Elena Leonteva, European Solidarity Corps volunteer
- Gudrun Pflueger MSc), Large Carnivores
- Hanna Öllös (MSc), Carpathian region and UNESCO specialist, Project development
- Iryna Shchoka, Youth programmes and Ukraine
- Karin Eckhard (MA), Sustainable Tourism
- Karolina Soliar, European Solidarity Corps volunteer
- Magdalena Meikl (MSc) Amphibians and Insects, Youth programmes, Project manager
- Otto Dibelius (Assessor jur.), Legal Counsel, Financial Controller
- Victoria Steckhan, European Solidarity Corps volunteer
- Robin Rossberg, Office Management
Subscribe to our newsletter!