Save the date! – U.S. Forest Service Wilderness Ranger Academy 2019
We are delighted to announce that the U.S. Forest Service, in cooperation with the European Wilderness Society, is able to host several European Rangers from the European Wilderness Network at their next year’s Wilderness Ranger Academy in Region 2 (Rocky Mountain Region – Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota), Region 3 (Southwestern Region – Arizona, New Mexico) and Region 5 (Pacific Southwest Region – California). The event will take place in the first week of June, proposed date is June 3rd to 7th 2019.
The purpose of the International Wilderness Ranger Academy is to provide field level Wilderness rangers, partners and volunteers a “tool box” of professional Wilderness management skills. All levels of experience are welcome! Concurrent sessions will be offered to accommodate junior field rangers as well as experienced rangers. There will be great opportunities to hear engaging speakers, learn new skills, practice Wilderness visitor contact and Leave No Trace techniques, receive certifications and network with peers from around the US and Europe! The course language will be English.
The Ranger should:
- work in an European Wilderness Network partner area
- have a minimum of 3 years of field experience
- have good English language skills
- be able to present his or her protected area
- have experience with camping
- own basic personal protective equipment (PPE)
- have a letter of recommendation
- write a short motivational letter
- have a valid passport to fulfill the VISA requirements
Get information about this year’s Wilderness Ranger Academy at: Participate in the International Wilderness Ranger Academy 2018 in the United States