Sustainable Tourism Working Group meeting
9th Meeting of the Carpathian Convention Sustainable Tourism Working Group took place on 12-14 of September in Brasov, Romania. Iryna Shchoka represented European Wilderness Society on this meeting.
Participants from Carpathian countries:
- reported about the work of the National Tourism Task Forces and other related activities within each Carpathian country;
- discussed transfer of information on the national implementation of the Carpathian;
- Sustainable Tourism Strategy to the Carpathian Sustainable Tourism Platform;
- went through Carpathian tourism Databases on handbooks, projects and funding and provided feedback on its completeness, possible sources of information and user-friendly appearance;
- reviewed the progress on the operation of Carpathian Sustainable Tourism Centres under the Carpathian Sustainable Tourism Platform;
- identified further priorities of Working Group;
- became familiar with tourism project opportunities and initiatives in the Carpathian region, discussed participation in them;
- reviewed the presentation on the draft Set of Indicators for Measuring positive and negative Impacts in destinations of the Carpathians (by Michael Meyer) and discussed involvement of Parties for integrating the set of indicators into their monitoring systems.
Participants also visited Natura 2000 site and even saw the bears, crossing tourist trail in the mountains, called “7 Stairs Canyon”
Number of Sustainable Tourism Working Group meeting participants will have a chance to see each other on the Carpathian Convention Fifth Conference of the Parties on 10-12 of October, 2017 in Lillafüred Hungary
On Thursday, September 14 separate meeting of 2 established Carpathian Sustainable Tourism Centers: Romania and Ukraine was held. Their representatives visited office of the Romanian Carpathian Sustainable Tourism Center and discussed further possible common activities. Next meeting of two Centers is scheduled to take place late this autumn in Uzhhorod, Ukraine.
Now Tourism week for Iryna and Valik from European Wilderness Society is continuing with number of meetings, conferences and fair in Uzhhorod, Ukraine.
Additional information about Working Group meeting in Romanian is also on the web-sites of:
- Ministry of Tourism of Romania
- Brasov County Council