Interview to New York Times
Update: the complete article “A Disgraced Ukrainian Oligarch’s Bizarre Ski Resort Plan” of New York Times can be found here.
Recently European Wilderness Society contributed to the extended interview of the New York Times about huge ski resort building in the Ukrainian Carpathians.
Please also read: Svydovets massif needs our support
We explained to Andrew Higgins, why European Wilderness Society supports FREE Svydovets initiative. We also provided info, why we are following this contradictive project development.
Among other we provided recommendation to the Ukrainian authorities:
- consider climate change and environmental issues and reports in the decision-making process
- follow provisions of the International agreements of Ukraine, one of which is Carpathian Convention
- proceed further with the creation of the landscape reserve (zakaznik) of the state importance “Central Svydovets”, according to the recommendation of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, dated 24 of July, 2019
- study recent state of the similar resorts in Europe, including Alps and Carpathians
- invest into capacity-building of local sustainable tourism sector players.
We will further inform our reader about details of the whole interview as well as about further movements regarding this project.
Subscribe to our newsletter!